Frequently Asked Questions

While everyone enjoys winning, youth sport is a time to develop skills and friendships and to have fun. By learning together, you can create a special bond with the team, often including your own child!

Who can play for the Springwood United Football Club (SUFC)?

SUFC registrations are open to all persons turning 5 years or older in the year they wish to register. Our oldest player to date is 69.

How do I register and how much does it cost?

Registration for the winter season is usually in January/February. Costs are determined annually, they are based on previous years registration plus inflation.

What does the registration fee cover?

The registration fee covers both external and internal expenses that must be covered to ensure all teams are able to take the field or court. The external fees includes; for Football players, the Football Federation of Australia (FFA) Levy, Football NSW (FNSW) Levy, NDSFA Levy, BMCC Levy, NDSRA (Referees) fees. Internal costs include; field maintenance, field equipment, team equipment, telephones, electricity (all lights at Summerhayes Park are paid by the club) player insurance, medical supplies, GST, advertising, trophies, presentation day expenses, line marking and administration expenses.

My child played for a different club last season. Is that a problem?

There is no restriction in transferring from one club to another. If you are already registered please contact the Registrar for further information..

Do I need to buy a uniform?

A team shirt is supplied for each match (and handed in at the end of the game). You will need to purchase club socks, a pair of black shorts, shinguards and boots.

Do you have teams for U9 and under?

All teams from U9 and below play non competition matches to improve and practise skills. U5, U6 and U7 play on a Small Sided Game (SSG) field of 30m x 20m and play at the same location and time every week. Springwood runs an "in house" competition of 10 teams in each age group. U8 and U9 play on a larger field of 40m x 30m and 60m x 40m and play against local Blue Mountains clubs at differing times and locations, although usually in the morning.

How are teams assigned?

Non competition teams are formed by the parents and players during our "muster" to enable friends join the same team. Any new kids will be placed into teams that contain kids from the same school, street or suburb as best we can.

Competition teams are formed by grading all players over a period of four weeks to group similar skilled players together. These teams are then graded into divisions and entered into the NDSFA competition. Players who wish to play with friends may always drop down divisions and most special requests are granted.

How do I know what age group my child should be in?

The age that your child turns during the competition calendar year will determine the age group they are placed into. Special requests to play up an age can be granted but players may not play down an age group.

Are teams same sex or mixed?

Boys and girls may play in a mixed team for all non competition age groups. Boys and girls may play in a mixed competition up to the U12 age group. Boys will then play in a male competition and girls will play in a female competition.

Where do my fees go?

All fees are put back into the running of the club for the benefit of members. Balancing the budget is always a challenge and the Management Committee are pleased to again be able to keep the fees the same as last year.
The attached shows how your fees are spent. Admin costs include accruals for strip replacement, admin officer, phones, office supplies, special competition fees, coach development etc.

2014 Fee Distribution

What do I do in case of a football related injury?

1. Under the resources tab on SUFC website there is a JLT Sport Personal Injury Claim Form. Please read the important information section.
2. The form should be completed for or by those who suffer injuries or have an accident whilst carrying out their function as a member of SUFC i.e. playing, training, coaching, managing, carrying out volunteer duties including volunteer refereeing. Claimants must be registered in one of the following categories, Committee Member/Official, Coach, Manager or Player, Club Referee.
3. Only complete the form if you are likely to incur or have incurred medical costs that are not listed on the medicare benefits scheme.
4. The player/member is to complete all of section A, injury details in Section B and Section C. Section D is to be completed by your Physician either general practitioner, physiotherapist, chiropractor or dentist.
5. The player/member should then email the secretary ( to make arrangements for the secretary to complete Section B and the declaration and forward it to the office of the NFA for the memberís registration to be verified and their employment status confirmed. .
6. The form will then be forwarded to the Insurance company by Association Staff.
7. A record of the claim will be kept by the Association.
8. Once received, the insurance company (QBE) will contact the claimant directly and inform them of a claim number. From this point onwards, members may forward claim receipts to the insurance company directly.
9. Members have 90 days from the date of injury to lodge a claim. The insurance company will only pay out on claims for a 12 month period.